Raw Buckwheat Smoothie
We love rich, creamy, filling breakfast smoothies! We often rotate between soaked buckwheat and rolled oats as the base. Buckwheat may sound a bit funny... but believe us, this smoothie is awesome. The soaked buckwheat and nuts give the smoothie richness, and the dates and frozen fruit make it sweet and really yummy. Feel free to add in flaxseed meal, hemp seeds, cocoa powder, spinach, kale - whatever you enjoy!
- ½ cup raw buckwheat groats or rolled oats
- ½ cup raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.)
- 2-4 dates (pitted)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 bananas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 ½ cups frozen berries (i.e. strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- 1 cup water
- Soak buckwheat and nuts together overnight (or 4-8 hours) in water. If using rolled oats, no need to soak, just add straight into blender.
- Strain and thoroughly rinse buckwheat and nuts. Place in blender.
- Add dates and 1 ½ cups water to blender. Blend thoroughly.
- Add remaining fruit and 1 cup water. Blend until smooth. Add more water if needed.
Yields: 2-4 servings