Mac & Cheese
This is by no means your typical mac & cheese, but it has the stamp of approval from omnivorous friends who love traditional mac & cheese. Yay! And no one believed us that it was filled with veggies and cashews!
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup Garnet or Jewel Yam (peeled and chopped)
- ⅓ cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup raw cashews (or navy beans)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Dijon-style or stone-ground mustard
- 12 oz dry pasta (we like brown rice noodles)
- Place chopped potatoes, sweet potatoes, and onions in a steamer basket and steam until a fork pierces the veggies easily (about 10 minutes depending on size of chunks).
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (except for pasta) and blend until smooth. You can add more liquid if needed to blend smoothly.
- Cook the pasta as usual and drain. Mix the cheese sauce with the noodles and heat on low for a few minutes.
- The sauce will thicken as the noodles absorb some of the liquid.
Yields: 4-6 servings
If you'd like a little added richness (especially if you replace the cashews with navy beans), feel free to drizzle a little flax, hemp, or olive oil on top.