Magic Green Muffins
These muffins are moist, delicious, completely fruit sweetened, and very green! What a fun and easy way for the whole family to pack in some extra veggies. Each muffin has a solid ⅓ cup of spinach, and you can’t even taste it!
If your muffins are coming out dense, try checking your baking powder freshness. Combine 1 teaspoon baking powder with ⅓ cup hot water. The mixture should bubble vigorously. We figured this out the hard way, after baking a batch of muffins and wondering why they turned out so dense. A quick trip to the store for some fresh baking powder remedied the situation. Happy green muffin making!
- 1 cup rolled oats (or oat flour)
- 1 cup coconut shreds (or coconut flour)
- 1 cup whole spelt flour (or brown rice flour for GF option)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dates (pitted and loosely packed)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 4 cups spinach (tightly packed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use silicone muffin cups, or lightly oil a 12-muffin tin, or 2 loaf pans.
- Blend the rolled oats and coconut shreds in a blender, or use already prepared flour.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Place the remaining ingredients (except the spinach) in the blender and blend to a smooth consistency. Then add the spinach and blend until smooth.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Bake 30-35 minutes (muffins) or 45-50 minutes (breads), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yields: 12 muffins