We love the sweet smells of molasses and ginger warming the house! These muffins are light and sweet and have no added oil. These are one of our favorite muffins all year around! And blackstrap molasses is a wonderful iron source. Each muffin contains one teaspoon of molasses.
- 1 cup rolled oats (or oat flour)
- 1 cup coconut shreds (or coconut flour)
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup dates (pitted and loosely packed)
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 medium-sized apple (cored and chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons grated ginger (fresh) or 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use silicone muffin cups, or lightly oil a 12-muffin tin, or 2 loaf pans.
- Blend the rolled oats and coconut shreds in a blender, or use already prepared flour.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, spices, and salt in a bowl.
- Place the remaining wet ingredients in the blender and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Bake 30-35 minutes (muffins) or 45-50 minutes (breads), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yields: 12 muffins or 2 loaf breads