This recipe has been a family favorite for two generations! It's crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and just plain delicious. It tastes like a breakfast treat, but it's packed with whole grains and tofu, and topped with a lot of fresh fruit. And a little drizzle of maple syrup!
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 4 oz tofu (firm or extra firm)
- ¼ cup dates (pitted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 pieces whole-grain bread
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Blend all of the ingredients in a blender (except for the bread, of course).
- Oil a large baking dish and place bread in a single layer in the dish.
- Evenly pour blended mixture over bread. Spread with a spatula if needed.
- Bake 15 minutes, carefully turn slices over, and bake 15 minutes longer, or until golden brown.
Yields: 3-6 servings