This is our go-to cake recipe for our kids' birthdays (and big kids, too). It's totally fruit-sweetened - no need for refined sugar! It also works great as a brownie recipe without the frosting.
Chocolate Cupcake ingredients:
- 1 cup rolled oats (or oat flour)
- 1 cup coconut shreds (or coconut flour)
- 1 cup whole spelt flour (or brown rice flour for gluten-free option)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dates (pitted and packed)
- ¼ cup coconut butter or cashew butter (or ¼ cup cashews)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use silicone muffin cups or lightly oil a 12-muffin tin or 9x13" brownie pan.
- Blend the rolled oats and coconut shreds in a blender, or use already prepared flour.
- Mix the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Place the remaining ingredients in the blender and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Bake 25-30 (cupcakes) or 45-50 minutes (brownies), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yields: 12 cupcakes
Strawberry Coconut Frosting ingredients:
- ½ cup strawberries (fresh or defrosted)
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- ¼ cup dates (pitted and packed)
- ¼ cup water
- In a blender, blend all ingredients.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and blend until smooth. More water may be needed to blend smoothly.
- Refrigerate to let firm up (at least 15 minutes).
- Let cupcakes cool before frosting.
Yields: about 1 cup