Carrot Spice Muffins
Inspired by a good friend's Thanksgiving creation, these muffins are moist, fruit sweetened, and full of flavor. Feel free to add in a little ginger or cardamom if you and your kids would like some extra kick. Chopped walnuts and raisins would be delicious add-ins as well.
- 1 cup rolled oats (or oat flour)
- 1 cup whole spelt flour (or brown rice flour for GF option)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrots (shredded and packed)
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk or water
- ½ cup dates (pitted and packed)
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use silicone muffin cups, or lightly oil a 12-muffin tin, or 2 loaf pans.
- Blend the rolled oats or use already prepared flour.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, spices, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix in the shredded carrots.
- Place the remaining ingredients in the blender and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Bake 25-30 minutes (muffins) or 45-50 minutes (breads), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yields: 12 muffins