Bean Pasta Sauce
We sure love pasta! There are so many different shapes, textures, and whole grain flours to choose from these days! We also love smooth and creamy pasta sauce—no one would ever guess it's packed with beans and sweet potatoes! Sometimes we replace the beans with 1 cup of cashews to make an even richer, creamier sauce. It's also fun to steam and finely chop kale or broccoli and mix it in with the pasta.
- 12 oz pasta (i.e. brown rice, quinoa, corn, etc.)
- 1 cup sweet potatoes (steamed in chunks)
- 1 cup beans (i.e. navy, kidney, garbanzo, etc.)
- 12 oz pasta sauce
- water as needed (for smooth blending)
- salt to taste
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- Chop a small sweet potato (any variety) into similar-sized chunks. Place in a steamer basket and steam until a fork easily pierces the potatoes.
- Blend sweet potatoes, beans, and pasta sauce until smooth. Add a little water if needed to allow blender to blend smoothly. Start with a few tablespoons and slowly increase.
- Mix in with pasta and top with oil (i.e. flax, hemp, olive, coconut, etc.), nutritional yeast, or vegan cheese.
Serves: about 4