Mac & Bean Cheese
This is by no means your typical mac & cheese that is high in fat, calories and animal protein. Instead, we used navy beans as the base for the cheese sauce. By doing this you get all the goodness of beans including protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. We figured out each serving has more than 10 grams of fiber (if whole grain noodles are used too). Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked navy beans
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup tahini or ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garlic & onion powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- pinch turmeric and cayenne (optional)
- 2 ½ cups dry pasta (we like brown rice noodles)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (except for pasta of course) and blend until smooth. You can add a little more liquid if needed.
- Cook the pasta as usual and drain. Mix the "cheese sauce" with the noodles and heat on low for a few minutes.
- The sauce will thicken as the noodles absorb some of the liquid.
Yields: 4-6 servings
If you'd like a little added richness, feel free to drizzle a little flax, hemp or olive oil on top.